Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Teaching & Learning - STaR Chart and Long Range Plan for Technology

Since Teaching and Learning is one of my campus’s areas in which growth is needed, I will focus my opinion on it. As outlined in the Texas Campus School Technology and Readiness (STaR) Chart provided by TEA, patterns of classroom use, frequency/design of instructional setting using digital content, content area connections, TEKS implementation, student mastery of TEKS, and outline learning are the areas in which schools are rated. These ratings range from early tech, developing tech, advanced tech, and target tech.

The intent of the Long Range Plan for Technology in this area is that teachers will use technology to engage students in their own learning process. In order to do this, teachers must be more on target with their use of technology. To begin with, more teachers need to create and use on-line web-based lessons with their students. Letting the student navigate through pre-designed web-sites is a way for them to be in control of their learning content. As it is now, most teachers use online materials for themselves and adapt it to use in their classroom. The teacher is the navigator and sole user of technology, which is not the true intent of effective utilization of technology in the classroom.

In regards to the implementation of Technology Application TEKS, I feel that many teachers are not fully aware of what is entailed in them. As my campus’ STaR Chart manager, I had many teachers call me asking what they should mark for that section of the chart. I didn’t reveal any information to them; I just told them to mark their response based on what they personally know and do. Needless to say, my campus ended up with a “2” rating. They claim to be aware of the Technology Applications TEKS, yet they do not consistently use the TEKS in their content area and grade level.

One of many limitations to being a new campus is the lack of technology equipment available for all teachers to use. With this in mind, I can understand how our campus rated as Developing Tech in the category of “Frequency/Design of Instructional Setting Using Digital Content”. There are just too many limitations on the use of technology when the technology is not present. Our teachers do not have regular access to equipment; therefore, they are not able to incorporate it into their daily lessons and activities.

As far as improving this area, I feel that my campus is well on its way. Our campus received approximately $60,000 in the Date Grant (stimulus money). I would estimate that 90% of that is going straight to purchasing technology – both equipment and software – to be used in every classroom on our campus. Because of this, I feel that we will be on target for next year’s STaR Chart in this area.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your assesment, that many teachers are not aware of what is required of them by the Technology and Application TEKS. In the high school setting, I believe many teachers fell that having students produce presentations via technology is effectively implimenting technology. This is a good jumping off point but it falls short of the goal of the State Long Range Plan for Technology. Prior to this course, I was not fully aware myself. I received an email 2 weeks ago informing me I needed to complete my STaR Chart. I spent zero time on it and gave absolutely no thought to my responses. As educational leaders it will be our responsibility to be sure our fellow staff members are aware of the Technology TEKS, The Long Range Plan, and the importance of the STaR Chart. Perhaps then, techaers will not have to ask their colleges how to answer the questions.

    ReplyDelete